Monday, November 07, 2005

Bush: Has Borrowed More Than Previous 42 Presidents Combined


People are using the "That was so funny/shocking, I just spit out my coffee" or the "You owe me money for a new keyboard because I sprayed my drink out of nose" lines way too much these days. I'm almost certain that they are lying at least 99 percent of the time. Which is sad, because it diminishes the impact of times when it actually does happen.

Take for instance the warm egg nog with nutmeg and cocoa powder that found it's way out of my sinuses and through my fingers today upon reading this:
"According to the Treasury Department, from 1776-2000, the first 224 years of U.S. history, 42 U.S. presidents borrowed a combined $1.01 trillion from foreign governments and financial institutions, but in the past four years alone, the Bush administration borrowed $1.05 trillion."
There you have it folks. A very nice way to sum up the fiscal runaway train that is towing America towards a brick wall. With a cliff behind the wall. And lots of pointy cacti and scorpions and broken glass at the bottom of the cliff.

I don't mean to joke about this, but it's either that or cry. I'll cry tonight when I have my pillow.

Read the rest of the article here.