Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Scooter Libby On Bear Arousal 101


I was a huge fan of Libby's coy writing style in his now infamous 'Aspen' letter to Judy Miller. However, he lost me (I'm still reeling) upon reading his earlier (1996) work entitled "The Apprentice".

While I have yet to read the actual tome in full, the passages being bandied around the internet are enough to make you call your mother crying while running for the shower. Pedaphilia, scatological psychosis, golden showers and beastiality are just a few of the exciting topics that Scooter Libby toys with according to the New Yorker.

I nearly set down my coffee cup in one of my suddenly saucer sized eyes upon reading this passage:

At age ten the madam put the child in a cage with a bear trained to couple with young girls so the girls would be frigid and not fall in love with their patrons. They fed her through the bars and aroused the bear with a stick when it seemed to lose interest.

What?! The stick... with the bear... aroused the... huh? Is this a custom? What country are we talking about here?

As I type this, headlights from a car have cast long shadows of large cottonwood branches on the wall in front of me. I suddenly feel the need to put on some Al Green and pop a bottle of wine with myself.